Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On owning shoes

I own roughly 20 pairs of shoes. I haven't counted, but that sounds about right. Jason used to make me get rid of a pair of shoes every time I bought a new pair. He never understood that I NEEDED all those shoes. Granted there are some in my closet that I probably should get rid of that have holes or are broken, but for the most part, I think that there are a certain number of neccessary shoes, and for me that number is roughly 20.
There are:
Everyday shoes (Dansko)
Backup everyday shoes (Broken Dansko)
Hiking shoes
Running shoes
Black boots (New boots)
Dressy dress shoes in brown
Dressy dress shoes in black
Work shoes (which are sort of like dressy dress shoes only not quite as fancy)
Hiking sandals (which are currently everyday sandals)
Sandals (which I don't currently own because Bean at them when she was a puppy, but I plan on replacing this year, so I can pretend like I own them)
Summer Slip on shoes (Currently 2 pairs.. one broken pair of Keens and Sanuks)
Work boots (which are vastly different than work shoes. meant for gardening and snow)
Brown winter boots
Cowboy boots (of which everyone should own at least 1 pair.. i usually own 2)
Flip flops (2 pair).. for the beach, of course, and the shower.

As you can see, all these are absolutely necessary for different reasons. If I only had the Danskos, my everyday shoe, I could certainly dress them up for work or for a wedding, but what would I wear in the snow? I also won't wear a black shirt with brown shoes, but I'm weird about things like that. So.. I try to use this argument when trying to convince my husband why I really don't have to get rid of a pair of shoes, even though I just bought some. What if, something happened to my Danskos like.. one got lost on the side of the road. Wouldn't it be great that I had a backup pair that I could wear? PLUS Bean ate about 5 pairs of my favorite shoes when she was a puppy, so I feel in a way that I'm still making up for that.

1 comment:

  1. I think 20 pairs is normal - get a shoe tree. All of a sudden it appears as though your shoes are taking up less space (and if you haven't counted, J probably hasn't either ;)

    If the number of them does bother him though, take a hard look at the broken ones and ask yourself why they haven't gotten taken to the cobbler yet. Mayhaps it's time they bit the dust ...

    ReplyDelete